3 Bear Street, Nantucket, MA
Perched on the edge of town and a stone’s throw from the harbor, the Tristram Bunker House remains in much of its original condition. It is one of the oldest houses on Nantucket Island. Steeped in history going back to the early 18th century, the house was built in 1720 and moved to its current location around 1756. Originally a “lean-to” home, an “ell” was added to the house in 1840. The house received a more modern wing in the 1980s. Former owners of the house include whale ship captains and members of the Bunker, Gardner and Folger families. The most recent owner was Connie Umberger - a beloved island educator and founder of the Nantucket Garden Festival. The garden surrounding the house is a testament to her love of natural beauty and historic preservation. The house has a flexible floorplan and can be lived in as-is or thoughtfully renovated to accommodate a more modern lifestyle. The estate of the seller must obtain License to Sell from Probate Court prior to closing.
First Floor: The original portion of the first floor includes a living room, keeping room (both with original fireplaces), full bath and kitchen. The house can be entered from the front door that leads into the living room or the mudroom that leads into the kitchen. The modern section of the house includes a bedroom, bathroom, large living area with gas-burning stove, loft space and ample storage.
Second Floor: The second floor can be accessed using either of the two original staircases. The front staircase leads to the attic and to the larger of the two bedrooms. The back staircase leads to the second bedroom. The bedrooms share a full bath. You will find another fireplace in the larger second floor bedroom. Both bedrooms have large closets.
Third Floor: Large unfinished attic with some original floor boards.
Basement: There is a partial basement under the most recent addition of the house. The original house has a root cellar that is accessed from the interior.
Parking: ample off-street